- Residential Refuse and Recycling Information
Residential Refuse and Recycling Information
Beginning January 2023, residential recycling and trash pickup will be contracted with AMWASTE and billed through the city’s Sanitation Department. See an Interactive GIS City Map showing garbage collection days.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding residential refuse or recycling, please contact our Sanitation Department.
Brush and Bulk
The City of Newnan collects brush and bulk items as a city service. Please see an Interactive GIS City Map showing brush and bulk collection days.
- Rolled Carpet
- Glass Doors (glass must be broken and placed in a cardboard box)
- Construction and Demolition Debris (Only generated by homeowner)
- Appliances (refrigerated appliances require a Freon removal tag issued by a certified technician)
Not Accepted Materials
- Commerical Construction Debris
- Large Amounts of Hazardous Waste
- Paint, Paint Thinner, Paint Cans (Excluding dry, empty paint cans)
- Car Batteries
- Large Car Parts (Engines, Rotors, etc.)
- Landscape or Railroad Cross Ties
- Medical Waste
- Needles and Syringes
- Animal Carcasses
When setting out yard debris/bulk waste, please keep clear the sidewalks and streets. The items should not block the sidewalk or road from being used.
Please make sure yard debris is located in a place which does not block storm drains.
AMWASTE offers a one bin solution. This means your trash and most of your recycling will now be in one container. Visit the Repower South resources page to see how the recycling process works.
Recyclables That Go in Your Trash Bin
- Plastic Containers (Water/soda bottles, juice and milk gallon jugs, recyclable items #1-5)
- Aluminum Cans (Soda/water cans, food cans, etc.)
Recyclables and Other Items That Shouldn't Go in Your Trash Bin
- Glass: The City's current refuse and recycling pickup provider does not accept glass as a recyclable material. Coweta County Compact locations, however, accept recyclable materials free of charge.
- Chemicals: Chemicals like bleach, pesticides, solvents or corrosives should not be in placed in your trash bin. These must be disposed of properly to avoid hazardous situations for humans and wildlife. If you have questions on how to dispose of these items properly contact our Keep Newnan Beautiful office.
- Batteries: Rechargeable batteries, lead acid batteries, and lithium batteries should never be thrown into the garbage. These batteries have a fire risk even when they are “dead” and have been known to start fires at landfills, transfer stations, and recycling facilities. These batteries can be disposed of at Keep Newnan Beautiful Electronics Recycling events. See the City of Newnan City Calendar for upcoming Electronics Recycling events. Disposable batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V) can be thrown in the trash bag, but are not recyclable through the current waste stream. To recycle them, call the Keep Newnan Beautiful office to set up a drop off time.
- Paint: Keep Newnan Beautiful hosts two paint recycling events per year. Check the City Calendar for the next event. If you choose not to recycle your paint, it must be solid before disposal. There are several methods for drying out paint: most hardware stores sell a paint hardener or solidifier. Cat litter, sand, saw dust are also materials that can be used to absorb and dry out liquid paint. Paint containers must be completely dry, even if empty, before going to the landfill. Call the Keep Newnan Beautiful office with any additional questions.
- Electronics: TVs, computers, cell phones, plugs, cables, cords, radios, DVRs, printers, copiers, speakers, desk phones, etc. do not belong in your trash container. These items contain valuable metals and other materials best kept out of the landfill. You can recycle them through Keep Newnan Beautiful Electronics Recycling events, Best Buy, or Staples. Call the Keep Newnan Beautiful office for more details or with questions.
- Appliances: Appliances like microwaves, refrigerators, ovens, toasters, irons etc. These items can be recycled at various metal recyclers like Newnan Salvage or Gentry Auto Salvage. We suggest you contact the business to verify what they will accept. If you choose not to recycle them, these items can be disposed of in your bulk waste pickup. Refrigerators must have the refrigerant removed before disposing in bulk waste or at the recycle center.
- Medication: Medicines should be disposed of in original containers at a DEA Drug Take Back event in your area. Do not flush medication down the toilet or sink. Look for an upcoming DEA Drug Take Back event in the City Calendar.
- Medical Sharps: Medical Sharps, such as needles or syringes, should be disposed of in a sealed container; either one that you purchase or one that you create with a plastic milk or juice jug that has a lid. For more information, see FDA Safety Guidelines.
Keep Newnan Beautiful
Are you interested in learning more about recycling? Check out our educational programs at Keep Newnan Beautiful.
Follow Keep Newnan Beautiful on social media: