What is SPLOST?
History of SPLOST in Georgia/Coweta County
The Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) law was enacted by Georgia legislators in 1985.
The law authorizes a county sales tax of 1%, approved by voters, for a set period that's used for funding specific capital projects, typically pertaining to transportation, public safety, parks and recreation, and some general government.
SPLOST is updated every 5-6 years with an intergovernmental agreement between the county and municipalities.
Since 1986, Coweta County voters have invested in SPLOST.
Who Contributes to SPLOST?
Everyone. That includes every single person who visits and spends money in Coweta County. 1% of every dollar spent in Coweta County goes toward SPLOST funds.
According to a study released by the Newnan-Coweta Chamber of Commerce, "78% of sales interactions and nearly 50% of local sales tax revenue" come from out-of-county patronage. This means that only 22% of sales interactions in Coweta County come from Coweta County residents and the vast majority of SPLOST funding is the result of transactions by people who visit, shop here and travel through Coweta County.
SPLOST Projects in the City of Newnan
- Fire Station #4
- Fire Training Facility
- New Fire Trucks
- Fire Safety Equipment
- Rescue Unit Vehicles
- Public Safety Complex
Buildings, Parks, Cemeteries, and Recreation
- Newnan City Hall (25 LaGrange St., Newnan, GA 30263)
- Newnan Centre (1515 Lower Fayetteville Rd., Newnan, GA 30265)
- Beautification Facility (55 Boone Dr., Newnan, GA 30263)
- Roof for the Wesley Street Gym
- Lynch Park Pool
- Renovations at the Newnan Carnegie Library
- Cemetery Office Building (96 Jefferson St, Newnan, GA 30263)
- Newnan Centre Renovations, Amphitheater, Fitness Trail, 2nd Entrance
- Sprayberry Road Dog Park (60 Sprayberry Rd, Newnan, GA 30263)
- First Avenue Park
- Ray Park
- C.J. Smith Park
- Pickett Field
- Park Lighting at Greenville Street Park and First Avenue Park
- Howard Warner Playground
- 2 Street Sweepers
- Vacuum Truck
- Boom Trucks
- Dump Trucks
- LINC Section #4
Roads, Parking Lots, Intersections, and Repairs
- Wadsworth Auditorium Parking Lot
- Armory Road Sidewalks
- Street, Sidewalk, and Drainage Maintenance
- Jackson Street Sidewalk Improvements
- Farmer Street Culvert Repair
- Street Paving
- Bridge Repairs
- 5 Points Intersection Improvements